The AntiVir Personal Edition offers the effective protection against computer viruses for the individual and private use on a single PC-workstation.
AntiVir provides a clean user interface that's easy to use although visually rather plain. It also lacks some key features included in most of the other nine products we tested for "The New Virus Fighters" such as the ability to scan incoming and outbound e-mail for infected file attachments and the ability to quarantine infected files. AntiVir also lacks telephone technical support, as do all the free antivirus applications we tested.
Among the ten products in the test group, AntiVir ranked below average when conducting an on-demand scan, although it performed the best of the free programs. While able to detect more than 90 percent of the threats in our collection of backdoor programs, bots, and Trojan horses, it ranked near the bottom of the pack when it came to detecting unknown threats by using heuristics, catching less than 25 percent of worms and backdoors using one-month-old virus data. AntiVir did perform fairly well in our scan-speed tests, finishing fourth overall.
You'll be amazed how thoroughly AntiVir protects:
- detects and removes more than 150,000 viruses
- always among the winners of comparison test featured in computer journals
- the resident Virus Guard serves to monitor file movements automatically, e.g. downloading of data from the internet
- scanning and repair of macro viruses
- protection against previously unknown macro viruses
- safeguard against cost generating dial-up program
- protection against trojaner, worms, backdoors, jokes and other harmful programs
- easy operation
- Internet-Update Wizard for easy updating
- Protection against previously unknown boot record viruses and master boot record viruses